[BioC] Question regarding handling technical replicates for Affy arrays

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue May 30 02:53:50 CEST 2006

Dear Noel,

I'm sorry I didn't fully appreciate from your first email that you have only one replicate,
because you didn't give the whole biolrep vector.  A single replicate is simply not enough to
estimate the technical-replicate variance component.  You need at least two.  That is the reason
why duplicateCorrelation() returns a NaN answer.

I guess that most people would average the technical replicates or would choose the "best" one.
It isn't likely to make a lot of difference.  There's no perfect solution because this isn't a
perfect experimental design.

Best wishes
Gordon