[BioC] Question regarding handling technical replicates for Affy arrays

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue May 30 14:58:08 CEST 2006

Dear Noel,

If you average the technical replicates, the averages have somewhat
less variance than the data for the samples with only 1 array.  So,
probably you are best off doing 2 analyses - selecting each array in
turn.  This may lead to slightly different "top gene" lists, but it
will be bettter than selecting the "best" array and not understanding
how this affects your analysis.  Since you appear to have adequate
biological replication, the tow results should be very similar.  You
should take a careful gene by gene look at any genes that show up as
statistically significant in one of the analyses but not the other.

--Naomi