[BioC] from rat codelink to human locuslink

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Sat Nov 4 17:42:29 CET 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 17:26, Weiwei Shi wrote:
> another question on this:
> > getHomolog(id = "Rn.105679", from.type="unigene",
>
> + to.type="entrezgene",from.mart=rat, to.mart=human)
> but I checked our database output:
> Rn.105679
> its corresponding human locuslink id = 54838,
>
> I am really confused now at which is correct.

The mapping from one ID to another and then to another species and then to
another ID in the new species is bound to be slightly different depending on
the institution doing the mapping.  It appears that Ensembl does not have a
gene that Unigene Rn.105679 maps to.  It sounds like you are using NCBI
mapping resources in "your database"; if you have a relational database of
NCBI information, why not use it if you like.  The important thing is to be
able to describe whatever process you use in a reproducible way.

Sean