[BioC] Regarding error while normalizing using "loess" method

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 6 21:28:45 CEST 2006

Hi Ganiraju,

how many arrays are you working with?

It seems to me that you just don't have enough RAM to do what you're
trying to do. This is exactly what the error message means. It has used
up all available memory and it's trying to access some more and failing.
Changing the memory.limit() above what you have available wouldn't help
for that. Even if you tell R it can 4Gb of RAM, your computer still only
has 1Gb.

The reason why it is be running forever would be because the computer is
heavily swapping.

The first solution would be to use a computer with more than 1Gb of RAM.
Windows is unfortunately severely limited in how it handles memory above
2Gb, so if you require more than that, it would be a good idea to use
Linux or Mac computers instead. If you need more than 4Gb, you would
need a 64bit-capable computer as well.

Francois