[BioC] Wow, what have I done

Tue Dec 11 02:57:55 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:

> So I did and this is half Mac list half Bio list
>
> curl -O http://r.research.att.com/exp/R-2.3.1-ppc64.tar.gz
> sudo tar fvxz R-2.3.1-ppc64.tar.gz -C /
> sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib64/R/bin/R /usr/local/bin/R64
>
> As per <http://cran.fhcrc.org/>
>
> And cool, I have 64 bit R which launches

But your R version is 2.3.1 - seriously outdated.

You should be using the build of R-2.6.1 that says "leopard only,
pp64" on
http://r.research.att.com/
You need to be using leopard

(I hope you are using a G5 cpu, otherwise it will not work, I can see
from earlier posts that you are using a PowerPC cpu).

Then you need to do
  options(pkgType = "source")
and set up your mac to install bioconductor from source (otherwise
you will not get 64bit versions of the packages, which is what you
want). This may be painful if you have not done so before. Them you
can do
  biocLite()

It is possible as far as I know to get 64bit R to run under Tiger,
but it is supposedly very painful. The stuff above requires you to
upgrade to Leopard however.

Kasper