[BioC] Response - difference between hgu95aprobe and hgu95acdf

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Jan 8 17:07:19 CET 2007

Recently, a few people (Saroj Mohapatra, Ernest Turro and Bao Cao) have
wondered why there appear to be more probes in the hgu95acdf environment
than in the hgu95aprobe package.

This is also true of the hgu95av2cdf/hgu95av2probe packages as well, and
appears to be due to the fact that 172 of the probesets on these chips
were based on TIGR annotations. If you were to search netaffx for any
one of them, there won't be any sequence information there, just the
statement "Contact The Institute for Genomic Research for sequence and
details". Unfortunately, the link they give to tigr is busted, but I am
sure those interested could be able to wrest the information they desire
from the Dana Farber website that you get directed to.

Anyway, I would imagine that there are some patent issues that keep Affy
from being able to redistribute the sequences, which is why they don't
appear in the probe sequence files, nor on netaffx.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.