[BioC] Results file LIMMA

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 22:25:28 CET 2007

Andres Gutierrez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new using LIMMA for the analysis of two color arrays. I have been following
> the user guide but I have questions regarding the meaning of the values and
> columns of the output "results" file.
>
> Where can I find an detailed explanation of the output file?, I mean the
> statistical definition of each column: A, Coef., t., p.value, F and Res. I guess
> that since I'm using adjust="fdr" in the code, the p values for each contrast
> are already adjusted for fdr and I can make my own cut (e.g. 5% or 1%) to find
> the MOST significant ones. Am I right?.

The output from topTable is already sorted with the genes most likely to
be significant at the top, so you can set your cutoff to select genes
with an FDR less than a certain level.

As for a statistical definition, you might look at the Bioconductor
Monograph. I thought the Limma User's Manual covered that pretty well too.

Best,

Jim

> Thanks,
>
> Andres