[BioC] gcrma error? - linked to makeProbePackage ?

Thu Jul 5 19:14:33 CEST 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Benoit Ballester wrote:

> James W. MacDonald wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Benoit Ballester wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to use gcrma for the mouse GNF/Novartis data.
>>> This dataset use a custom affy chip gnGNF1Musa. I got the CDF
>>> file and
>>> probe file from GEO.

>>> Adjusting for optical effect.......[more dots].....Done.
>>> Computing affinitiesError: length(prlen) == 1 is not TRUE
>>
>> This indicates that you have probes of more than one length (e.g.,
>> they
>> are not all 25-mers). This might have to do with what you note below,
>> that there is an extra column in your probe_tab file. However,
>> there is
>> error checking in makeProbePackage that is supposed to catch these
>> sorts
>> of things, so I am wondering how you were ever able to make the
>> package
>> in the first place.
>
> This is what I get when I install gngnf1musaprobe
>> R CMD INSTALL gngnf1musaprobe
> * Installing *source* package 'gngnf1musaprobe' ...
> ** R
> ** data
> ** help
>       Formats: text html latex example
>    gngnf1musaprobe                   text    html    latex   example
> ** building package indices ...
> * DONE (gngnf1musaprobe)
>
> looks fine to me
>
>> What do you get from
>>
>> head(as.data.frame(gngnf1musaprobe))
>
> This is what I get :
>
>> library(gngnf1musaprobe)
>> head(as.data.frame(gngnf1musaprobe))
> [1] sequence                     x
> [3] y                            Probe.Set.Name
> [5] Probe.Interrogation.Position Target.Strandedness
> <0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
>>
>> gngnf1musaprobe
> Object of class probetable data.frame with 0 rows and 6 columns
>>
>> gngnf1musaprobe[1,1]
> [1] NA
>
> This doesn't look right ?!?

No, this show that your probe package does not contain any probes (0
rows), meaning something major went wrong when it was created. As
James I am mystified that the package got created anyway, but it is
certain that you cannot use it as is.

Kasper