[BioC] how to revert to an older limma version?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 11 20:36:54 CEST 2007

Hi Maya -- Providing sessionInfo and a transcript of your session
really helped. Please see the comments below. I am responding to the
list, so that others may benefit.

Martin

"Maya Bercovich" <MayaB at tauex.tau.ac.il> writes:

> [...]

This is really helpful. Here's where my system starts:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.0 Under development (unstable) (2007-07-09 r42160)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US;LC_COLLATE=en_US;LC_MONETARY=en_US;LC_MESSAGES=en_US;LC_PAPER=en_US;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

Notice that these are en_US, whereas yours are en_US.UTF-8

> 2. Report the exact command that causes the error, and error message.
>    Do this by copying and pasting the relevant portions of your R
>    session. For instance, we do not yet know whether you provide your
>    own column names, or what type of files you are trying to read.
>
> The Data file is a GenePix output gpr file
>
> The commands I'm running and error message:
>

>> library(limma)
>> library(marray)
>> library(reldist)
> Relative Distribution Methods
> Version 1.5-5 created on April 1, 2006.
> copyright (c) 2003, Mark S. Handcock, University of Washington
>                     Martina Morris, University of Washington
> Type help(package="reldist") to get started.
>> library(Biobase)
>
> Welcome to Bioconductor
>
>   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
>   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
>   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.
>
>> setwd("/mnt/lifestore/Biotech/DannyS_Shared/Users/Revital/ssdp/")
>> path<-"/mnt/lifestore/Biotech/DannyS_Shared/Users/Revital/ssdp/"
>>
>> targets.RG1 <- readTargets("ssdpA270607.txt")
>>
>> targets.RG2 <- readTargets("ssdpB270607.txt")
>>
>> RG1 <- read.maimages(targets.RG1$Filename,
> columns=list(Rf="F635Median",Gf="F532Median",Rb="B635Median",Gb="B532Med
> ian"), path=path)
> Error in readGenericHeader(fullname, columns = columns, sep = sep) :
>         Specified column headings not found in file
> In addition: Warning message:
> input string 1 is invalid in this locale in: grep(pattern, x,
> ignore.case, extended, value, fixed, useBytes)

Thanks for the files you forwarded (not included in this
response). When I do

> setwd("~/tmp")
> library(limma)
> targets.RG1 <- readTargets("ssdpA270607.txt")
> fname <- targets.RG1$Filename[[1]]
> fname
[1] "B12Z0471_A.gpr"

The file name has lower-case 'gpr', but the file you sent has
upper-csae GPR, so

> columns <- list(Rf="F635Median",Gf="F532Median",
+   Rb="B635Median",Gb="B532Median")
> read.maimages(fname, columns=columns)
Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, "r") :
  cannot open file 'B12Z0471_A.gpr', reason 'No such file or directory'

on the other hand

> fname <- toupper(fname)
> res <- read.maimages(fname, columns=columns)
Read B12Z0471_A.GPR

So far so good. One point is that these are genepix files, so that a
better way to read the files might be

> res <- read.maimages(fname, "genepix.custom", columns=columns)
Custom background: LocalFeature
Read B12Z0471_A.GPR

This reads information about the printer as well, which can be useful
during normalization.

I now change my system local to be like yours

> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US.UTF-8")
[1] "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US;LC_PAPER=en_US;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"

and try to read the files

> read.maimages(fname, columns=columns)
Error in readGenericHeader(fullname, columns = columns, sep = sep) :
  Specified column headings not found in file
In addition: Warning message:
In grep(a, txt) : input string 1 is invalid in this locale

Ah ha! This seems to be the problem. So set the locale to "en_US"

> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US")
[1] "LC_CTYPE=en_US;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US;LC_COLLATE=en_US;LC_MONETARY=en_US;LC_MESSAGES=en_US;LC_PAPER=en_US;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
> res <- read.maimages(fname, columns=columns)
Read B12Z0471_A.GPR

Does this work for you? Alternatively here's an interesting solution
that 'just works':

> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US.UTF-8")
[1] "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US;LC_PAPER=en_US;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C"
> res <- read.maimages(fname, "genepix.custom", columns=columns)
Custom background: LocalFeature
Read B12Z0471_A.GPR

I'll just delve a little further, and see if we can figure out where
that warning message is coming from:

> options(warn=2)
> res <- read.maimages(fname, columns=columns)
Error in grep(a, txt) :
  (converted from warning) input string 1 is invalid in this locale

setting warn=2 causes the warning to become an error. Here's where the
error occurs (I've edited frame 2 with [...] to shorten the
presentation):

> traceback()
8: doWithOneRestart(return(expr), restart)
7: withOneRestart(expr, restarts[[1]])
6: withRestarts({
       .Internal(.signalCondition(simpleWarning(msg, call), msg,
           call))
       .Internal(.dfltWarn(msg, call))
   }, muffleWarning = function() NULL)
5: .signalSimpleWarning("input string 1 is invalid in this locale",
       quote(grep(a, txt)))
4: grep(a, txt)
3: readGenericHeader(fullname, columns = columns, sep = sep)
2: switch(source2, quantarray = {
[...]
   }, {
       skip <- readGenericHeader(fullname, columns = columns, sep = sep)$NHeaderRecords
       obj <- read.columns(fullname, required.col, text.to.search,
           skip = skip, sep = sep, quote = quote, as.is = TRUE,
           fill = TRUE, flush = TRUE, ...)
       nspots <- nrow(obj)
   })
1: read.maimages(fname, columns = columns)

Frame 4 is where the grep statement is, it's inside
readGenericHeader. Here's readGenericHeader:

> readGenericHeader
function (file, columns, sep = "\t")
{
    if (missing(columns) || !length(columns))
        stop("must specify column headings to find")
    columns <- protectMetachar(as.character(columns))
    if (!length(columns))
        stop("column headings must be specified")
    con <- file(file, "r")
    on.exit(close(con))
    out <- list()
    Found <- FALSE
    i <- 0
    repeat {
        i <- i + 1
        txt <- readLines(con, n = 1)
        if (!length(txt))
            stop("Specified column headings not found in file")
        Found <- TRUE
        for (a in columns) Found <- Found && length(grep(a, txt))
        if (Found)
            break
    }
    out$NHeaderRecords <- i - 1
    out$ColumnNames <- strsplit(txt, split = sep)[[1]]
    out
}
<environment: namespace:limma>

The 'grep' is toward the end, and is in a loop that looks at each
column name and compares it with the tab-delimited line of headings
from the gpr file. A little bit more snooping shows that the header
line has a field 'Rgn R^2 (635/532)', where the 'R^2' is rendered with
a superscripted '2'. This causes the problem. In UTF-8 it is
represented as "\xb2"; I don't know enough about locales to know what
this means.

The header line is read in a few lines above, with

        txt <- readLines(con, n = 1)

The help page for readLines indicates that there is an argument
'encoding'. We 'know' (experience, I guess) that the file is in
'latin1', and in fact changing the readLine to

        txt <- readLines(con, n = 1, encoding="latin1")

allows readGenericHeader to work correctly:

> res <- readGenericHeader(fname, columns)

I really don't know if this is the 'right' long-term solution for
limma or other package maintainers.

Martin