[BioC] limma: print-tip loess and empty spots

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 1 10:07:21 CEST 2007

Dear Adrian,

Raw M-values are always defined to be log(Red/Green), i.e., 635/532.
limma always computes them like that, because that's the definition.
If you think you need to change this, you're almost certainly not
thinking about your data in the best possible way.

Correct allowance for which treatments have been labelled red and
green is done at a later stage, not at the normalization stage.
limmaGUI provides plenty of facilities to do this, but if you export
the data out of the limma to treat it using other tools, then
obviously this becomes your responsibility.

BTW, limmaGUI provides features for checking data quality, such as
MA-plots and image plots.

Best wishes
Gordon