[BioC] 'recursive default argument' error in GOENTREZID2GO

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 10:16:43 CEST 2007

Does not it look like a bug in R, Should not it be reported as such,
Diego could you maybe do that? I did hit many ^C before getting my error
as I had large objects and often used ^C to terminate printing. And
well, quitting R is *not* a solution, such things run in scripts and
need to be stable.

Best,
Oleg

Diego Diez wrote:
> Hi Oleg, James and Seth.
>
> I also found the same problem (or very close) and used the same approach
> mentioned by James to solve it, which works fine but still it too
> annoying. After reading the post I've tried to reproduce the steps that
> use to reach me to that point. It happens with any environment, or at
> least annotation packages stored as environments. I can't think of any
> reason why this happens but let me show you the code:
>
>  > library(rae230a)
>  > xx <- as.list(rae230aENTREZID)
> ^C
>  > xx <- as.list(rae230aENTREZID)
> Error in as.list(rae230aENTREZID) : recursive default argument reference
>
> now, while the as.list() is working, cancel the process with control-C,
> and after that, the mentioned error happens whenever you try to repeat
> the process of transforming the environment to a list. The cancel must
> be done soon after hitting return, I found one case when delaying a
> little made me unable to reproduce the error. Other environments found
> in the package are not affected (i.e. rae230aSYMBOL, rae230aGENENAME, etc).
>
> Going deeper to the problem, I found that canceling the environment
>
>  > is(rae230aSYMBOL)
> ^C
>  > is(rae230aSYMBOL)
> Error in .class1(object) : recursive default argument reference
>  > rae230aSYMBOL
> Error: recursive default argument reference
>
> By "loading" a mean that the first time I execute as.list(rae230aSYMBOL)
> or is(rae230aSYMBOL) there is a delay which I assume is the environment
> being loaded into memory. Any further execution of the same commands
> will occur almost immediately.
>
> So, why should I cancel an environment loading soon after trying to load
> it? It happens that I was loading an environment inside a function, ran
> the function and wanted to cancel the execution, thus, the error
> appeared and the environemnt was unusable. Anyway, this seems to me more
> an R related issue.
>
> HTH,
>
> Diego.
>

>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1
>
> locale:
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
> [7] "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>  rae230a
> "1.16.0"
>  >

> On Jun 11, 2007, at 11:27 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:
>
>> "James W. MacDonald" <jmacdon at med.umich.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Oleg,

>>> I sometimes see that error as well. I have no idea what causes it, as it
>>> doesn't seem repeatable. Anyway, quitting R and starting over has always
>>> fixed the problem for me.
>>
>> Oleg, is this reproducible for you?  I wasn't able to get the error.
> [...]

Dr Oleg Sklyar | EBI-EMBL, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK | +44-1223-494466