[BioC] 'recursive default argument' error in GOENTREZID2GO

Diego Diez diez at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jun 12 04:42:04 CEST 2007

Hi Oleg, James and Seth.

I also found the same problem (or very close) and used the same
approach mentioned by James to solve it, which works fine but still
it too annoying. After reading the post I've tried to reproduce the
steps that use to reach me to that point. It happens with any
environment, or at least annotation packages stored as environments.
I can't think of any reason why this happens but let me show you the
code:

 > library(rae230a)
 > xx <- as.list(rae230aENTREZID)
^C
 > xx <- as.list(rae230aENTREZID)
Error in as.list(rae230aENTREZID) : recursive default argument reference

now, while the as.list() is working, cancel the process with control-
C, and after that, the mentioned error happens whenever you try to
repeat the process of transforming the environment to a list. The
cancel must be done soon after hitting return, I found one case when
delaying a little made me unable to reproduce the error. Other
environments found in the package are not affected (i.e.
rae230aSYMBOL, rae230aGENENAME, etc).

Going deeper to the problem, I found that canceling the environment

 > is(rae230aSYMBOL)
^C
 > is(rae230aSYMBOL)
Error in .class1(object) : recursive default argument reference
 > rae230aSYMBOL
Error: recursive default argument reference

By "loading" a mean that the first time I execute as.list
(rae230aSYMBOL) or is(rae230aSYMBOL) there is a delay which I assume
is the environment being loaded into memory. Any further execution of
the same commands will occur almost immediately.

So, why should I cancel an environment loading soon after trying to
load it? It happens that I was loading an environment inside a
function, ran the function and wanted to cancel the execution, thus,
the error appeared and the environemnt was unusable. Anyway, this
seems to me more an R related issue.

HTH,

Diego.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
"methods"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
  rae230a