[BioC] GO classification

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 10 17:07:10 CEST 2007

GO_Slim categories are usually sets of very general custom GO terms. Examples of these
GO_Slim sets can be downloaded from geneontology.org:
	http://www.geneontology.org/GO.slims.shtml

When working with GOstats, you can simply use your favorite GO_Slim set for subsetting
your enrichment analysis results and then plot the corresponding counts. Usually, GO_Slim
representations, especially pie charts, pretend that the different items (e.g. genes) are
assigned to only one category - which is typically not the case - since there are duplicates
almost everywhere.

As a suggestion to the developers:
Considering the popularity of these GO_Slim representations, it might be useful to add some
instructions in the GOstats PDF that illustrate to users how to generate counts and plots
for their favorite GO_Slim categories? Perhaps with a proper warning about the limitations of
these analyses.

Best,

Thomas

On Wed 10/10/07 11:23, Celine Carret wrote:
> Hi,
> you should have a look at this:
> http://faculty.ucr.edu/~tgirke/Documents/R_BioCond/My_R_Scripts/goSlim.t
> xt
>
> I found it very clear, and useful, and if you don't work on human-chips
> you can customise the script easily.
>
> Best regards
> Celine

Thomas Girke
Assistant Professor of Bioinformatics
Director, IIGB Bioinformatic Facility
Center for Plant Cell Biology (CEPCEB)
Institute for Integrative Genome Biology (IIGB)
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
1008 Noel T. Keen Hall
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521