[BioC] problem with osx darwin 8.10.0

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 21 20:18:43 CEST 2007

I believe that the issue is probably that a different compiler was used
to build the binaries than was used to build R.  I think if you check
Simon's R on OS X page, it will tell you not to do that.

Some choices (pretty close to what Diego suggested)

   1) build all packages, so change what you download to source, not binary.
   2) get and install the same compilers Simon uses, if you want to
build R yourself and use binary packages.
   3) get and use the prebuilt binary version of R, and binary packages.

best wishes
   Robert

Diego Diez wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> I found this behavior when compiling R myself and installing the binary
> packages from BioC. You can avoid this either compiling yourself the BioC
> packages (i.e. using the argument type="source" in biocLite) or installing
> the official binary version of R available from the R web site and then
> calling biocLite as usual.
>
> Best,
>
> Diego.
>

>  On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Andrea Tanzer wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I just installed R 2.5.1 via fink and bioconductor 2.0 with bioLite on my
>> powerbook G4,
>> System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R218)
>> Kernel Version: Darwin 8.10.0
>>
>> but when calling a library I get the following error:
>>
>>> library("vsn")
>> Error: package 'vsn' was built for universal-apple-darwin8.9.1
>>
>> the same happens with all other packages.
>>
>> I am not sure if the kernel version is realy important,
>> I got the same message with the previous osX version (kernel 8.9.0)
>> and todays update to osx 10.4.10 didn't change a thing.
>>
>> is this a usual error newbies get or is there something else wrong? ;-)
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> a.

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology