[BioC] Biological replicates

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Sep 28 03:25:17 CEST 2007

Technical replication is usually not effective in
determining biologically meaningful effects, but
is certainly useful for determining whether an
outlying sample is actually biologically
different, or just part of the usual variability
in the system (which is a mix of biological
variation and technical variation).  However, it
is also useful to remember that the technical
variation in the system can be due to the sample
preparation as well as the hybridization.  So a
"bad" array might produce an almost identical
technical replicate.  All in all, if possible it
is best to take another biological sample.

With small sample sizes, you cannot help seeing
what appear to be unusual effects.  To give you
an idea, suppose that you have 4 biological
replicates from the same treatment and you divide
them arbitrarily into 2 groups of 2.  There is a
1/3 probability that the 2 largest end up in one
group and the 2 smallest in the other.  On the
other hand, there is also 1/3 probability that
the largest and smallest are in one group and the
2 middle ones in the other, which gives the false
impression that the variability is higher in one group than the other.

--Naomi