[BioC] too many biomaRt connections

Steffen sdurinck at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 9 21:32:41 CEST 2008

Hi Elizabeth,

This is an error I've recently encountered as well and has as far as I
know nothing to do with the number of queries you performed but is a
more general problem of the BioMart version of Ensembl.
biomaRt is not the only tool querying this web service.  Other tools
like Taverna and custom tools using e.g. the BioMart perl API also query
this web service.
It looks like the BioMart system has gained popularity and recently we
frequently hit the maximum number of connections to the MySQL database.
Note that biomaRt doesn't query directly via MySQL but it's the MySQL
connection at the web service that is unable to connect.

I've contacted the Ensembl and BioMart teams and they are investigating
this problem.  It would help reporting this to helpdesk at ensembl.org to
pressure them on this issue, showing it's not only me but many people
who can't use their web service recently.  Report this part of the error
message:

Too many connections at
/ebi/www/biomart/www/biomart-perl-06/lib/BioMart/Configuration/DBLocation.pm
line 98

Cheers,
Steffen