[BioC] too many biomaRt connections

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 9 21:50:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Steffen <sdurinck at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Hi Elizabeth,
>
>  This is an error I've recently encountered as well and has as far as I
>  know nothing to do with the number of queries you performed but is a
>  more general problem of the BioMart version of Ensembl.
>  biomaRt is not the only tool querying this web service.  Other tools
>  like Taverna and custom tools using e.g. the BioMart perl API also query
>  this web service.
>  It looks like the BioMart system has gained popularity and recently we
>  frequently hit the maximum number of connections to the MySQL database.
>  Note that biomaRt doesn't query directly via MySQL but it's the MySQL
>  connection at the web service that is unable to connect.
>
>  I've contacted the Ensembl and BioMart teams and they are investigating
>  this problem.  It would help reporting this to helpdesk at ensembl.org to
>  pressure them on this issue, showing it's not only me but many people
>  who can't use their web service recently.  Report this part of the error
>  message:
>

>  Too many connections at
>  /ebi/www/biomart/www/biomart-perl-06/lib/BioMart/Configuration/DBLocation.pm
>  line 98
>

>  Cheers,
>  Steffen

Just to finish the thought here, it is possible to install the MySQL
database locally and use biomaRt locally.  I think this will solve the
problem for those who need regular, uninterrupted access.  Steffen can
correct me if I'm wrong on this.  Also, installing is not for the
faint-of-heart, as the database is pretty big.

Sean