[BioC] mouse4302.db vs mouse 4302

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 16 23:21:37 CEST 2008

Hi Richard,

Richard Friedman wrote:
> Dear bioconductor list,
>
> 	The mouse4302.db annotation package is listed as Version 2.02 of the
> annotation
> for mouse 4302 and was packaged Mon Oct 22 10:15:57.
>
> 	The mouse4302 annotation package is listed as Version 2.01 and was
> packaged
>   Thu Oct 11 11:31:47 2007.

The 2 packages contain the same data but in a different format. This difference
is transparent to the end-user so you could use either one or the other but we
recommend you always use the .db version whenever it's available (the .db
packages are SQLite-based, which is the format we are moving all our annotations
to, while the other packages are environment-based, which is the classic and
soon to be deprecated format).

> 	Should I there use mouse4302.db as the more recent and authoritative
> of the 2 packages?

Yes, please use mouse4302.db. The other one (mouse4302) is provided for backward
compatibility only and will be dropped in future versions of Bioconductor.

Cheers,
H.