[BioC] Microarray PCA/MDS/SVD

Yannick Wurm yannick.wurm at unil.ch
Tue Dec 9 16:19:19 CET 2008

Dank Wolfgang,

I'll look into the book.

>> could someone recommend a review or book on PCA/MDS/SVD/Factor
>> Analysis techniques & best practices for gene expression data?
>> I want to visualize each of my samples (3 different conditions; 20
>> timepoints - no need to visualize replication because things will
>> become too messy) .
>
> I am not sure I understand: making sure that variation between
> replicates is small compared to the variation between your
> conditions and timepoints seems like a basic sanity test  - without
> which anything that follows would be waste of time.

I tried several simple PCAs & see that variation between conditions &
timepoints is much bigger than between replicates.

Now I want to be able to make some general statements about the
conditions - eg: which are more similar to each other.

But to do that I'd like to understand what I'm doing. In some places
I've seen that people simply disregard the first prinicipal component
for microarray data. And I see that some distances (eg: using
"maximum" distance with cmdscale) give quite different results than
manhattan or euclidian distances...

Thanks & regards,

yannick