[BioC] Microarray PCA/MDS/SVD

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Dec 9 15:37:21 CET 2008

Hi Yannick

this one is a good start:

The Elements of Statistical Learning
Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
Series: Springer Series in Statistics
Hastie, Trevor, Tibshirani, Robert, Friedman, Jerome
1st ed. 2001. Corr. 3rd printing, 2003, 552 p., Hardcover
ISBN: 978-0-387-95284-0

A second edition is coming out early next year.

Re your points - see below:

> could someone recommend a review or book on PCA/MDS/SVD/Factor Analysis
> techniques & best practices for gene expression data?
>
> I want to visualize each of my samples (3 different conditions; 20
> timepoints - no need to visualize replication because things will become
> too messy) .

I am not sure I understand: making sure that variation between
replicates is small compared to the variation between your conditions
and timepoints seems like a basic sanity test  - without which anything
that follows would be waste of time.

> But I'm frankly a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of options.
>
> My doubts include:
>     - when it's appropriate to use which technique
>     - should I use it on my complete normalized gene expression data
> set? Or only on significant genes?

Depends on what you want to see. The two options look for different things.

Best wishes
      Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber, EMBL-EBI, http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber