[BioC] Microarray PCA/MDS/SVD

Yannick Wurm yannick.wurm at unil.ch
Tue Dec 9 13:44:48 CET 2008

Dear list,

could someone recommend a review or book on PCA/MDS/SVD/Factor
Analysis techniques & best practices for gene expression data?

I want to visualize each of my samples (3 different conditions; 20
timepoints - no need to visualize replication because things will
become too messy) . But I'm frankly a bit overwhelmed by the plethora
of options.

My doubts include:
	- when it's appropriate to use which technique
	- should I use it on my complete normalized gene expression data
set? Or only on significant genes? Or on the covariance matrix
between microarrays?
	- even for a simple PCA, there are an overwhelming number of
implementations in R (ade's dudi.pca, prcomp, princomp, several in
MASS, several in pcaMethods)

thanks :o)

yannick