[BioC] Kegg pathway --> gene network

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 29 19:06:37 CET 2008

Elliot Kleiman <kleiman at rohan.sdsu.edu> writes:

> Hi Fraser,
>
> Although KEGGgraph has not yet been
> formally released, you may still manually
> install it.

This sounds like a very dangerous solution -- packages have
complicated and often implicit dependencies. This will, sooner or
later, lead to grief -- an obscure error caused by incompatibilities
between packages from different release versions. A non-negligible
fraction of the mail on this list is from exactly this situation. The
'what is your sessionInfo()' / 'update your packages' solution that
most often addresses the problem takes time away from more meaningful
work, for all parties. Might as well just 'do it right' in the first
place.

Martin