[BioC] normalization of a data frame

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 12 12:02:37 CET 2008

Hi,

one option is to use the normalization methods in 'aroma.light', which
take matrices (or lists) containing signals on the intensity scale
(non-logged signals), so you could do:

 library(aroma.light)
 X <- as.matrix(df)

and pick one of:

 Xn <- normalizeAverage(X)
 Xn <- normalizeQuantile(X)
 Xn <- normalizeCurveFit(X)

followed by

 dfN <- as.data.frame(Xn)

For normalizeCurveFit() you can specify either method="loess"
(default/slowest), "lowess", "spline", or "robustSpline".  See
help(aroma.light) for more details and help(normalizeCurveFit.matrix)
for an example.

Hope this helps

/Henrik

PS. I'll add it to the to do list for the next release to add
normalization wrappers for data.frame:s as well so you don't have to
do the above coercions. DS.