[BioC] ReadAffy crashes R-devel on mac

Helen Zhou zhou.helen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 23:35:04 CET 2008

--- Kasper Daniel Hansen <khansen at stat.Berkeley.EDU>
wrote:

> I would suggest installing from scratch, making sure
> that you install
> from source and that your toolchain is set properly
> to compile from
> scratch on the Mac. Most likely there is some
> mismatch between
> compiler versions.

Dear Kasper

Thanks for your reply - although this is probably
where I have to admit that I'm slightly lazy and
usually don't install from source but just form the
installer image (.dmg) at
http://r.research.att.com/... Guess I'll have to give
the installation from source a go at some point soon.

> If you want more information,
> tell us
>    1) Are you using Leopard?

No, Tiger 10.4.11

>    2) Exactly what compiler you are using (include
> the build number
> please) and how did you install it.

Good question, it has been a while (for my last
computer update I just copied everything from my old
one with a firewire cable).
- I have Xcode 2.4.1., which I can't remember anything
about really.
- For fortran I have the GNU Fortran compiler from
http://r.research.att.com/tools/ installed when I did
the R-update and just run again today, i.e. version
4.2.1. Changed the path as indicated in the
instructions.

Best
- Helen

> The answer to 2) might be simple like "I never
> installed a compiler"
> or "I installed Xcode 3 from the leopard disc" or
>
> A good idea would be to read
> http://r.research.att.com/tools/
> carefully
>
> Kasper
>

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Diego Diez wrote:
>
> > Hi Helen,
> >
> > (sorry for the double message I forgot to cc bioc)
> >
> > I found the same problem when installing BioC
> development packages
> > with R-devel in a PPC Mac. The reason might be
> that the binary
> > packages are not compiled for PPC in the devel
> branch although I am
> > not sure about it. Anyway, to solve it you should
> use source packages,
> > i.e. either:
> >
> > source('http://bioconductor.org/bioLite.R')
> > biocLite(type="source")
> >
> > or if you want to update your installation:
> >
> > library(Biobase)
> > update.packages(repos=biocReposList(),
> type="source")
> >
> > unfortunately, after realizing my problem I was
> unable to fix the
> > installation and I had to reinstall R-devel and
> BioC again. Maybe I
> > didn't too hard.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Diego.
> >
> > On Feb 13, 2008 8:06 PM, Helen Zhou
> <zhou.helen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Dear Ben,
> >>
> >> thanks your for your fast reply. I actually
> thought I
> >> installed everything with biocLite() when I
> changed to
> >> R-devel a couple of weeks ago, but I guess I must
> have
> >> messed up somewhere.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I suspect that I have some issues
> with
> >> my installation. I updated the packages by
> running

> >> but now, what ever I try I run into a problem
> with
> >> Biobase. My previous version was 1.17.8, but
> after the
> >> update it's 1.17.12, but I can't actually load
> it. In
> >> a new R-session with nothing else loaded:

> >> Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
> >>   unable to load shared library

'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/

> >> Biobase/libs/i386/Biobase.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/

> >> library/Biobase/libs/i386/Biobase.so,
> >> 6): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
> >>   Referenced from:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/library/

> >> Biobase/libs/i386/Biobase.so
> >>   Reason: Incompatible library version:
> Biobase.so
> >> requires version 7.0.0 or later, but
> libiconv.2.dylib
> >> provides version 5.0.0
> >> Error: package/namespace load failed for
> 'Biobase'
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> - Helen

> your

> of

> affymetrix
> issue
> recently.

> The

en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8

> utils

=== message truncated ===