[BioC] How can I make genesets for sigpathway

Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 16:55:13 CET 2008

Dear Jim ,
thanks for your input.
 For now I am using U133Plus2 and Later I will be
using affy and agilent mouse and rat chips
respectively.

Although, I found the site where they are describing
how to make "G" object, the script that was provided
is not straightforward and I get errors when I am
trying to process what the author is asking me to do.(
http://www.chip.org/~ppark/Supplements/PNAS05.html)

My ultimate aim is to combine my choice of datasets:
some from MsigDB, my own annotations, PPI sets etc.
into "G"list object.

For that the starting material I have is a TAB delim
file with:

Pathway Source    Name of Pathway   GENE symbols.

Now I am clueless as how to create a annotation list.
This is required to start doing what authors are
describing in their code how to convert gene symbols
to ID.

Simply, I dont know how to make an object equivalent
to "Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData".

"Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData" is an R workspace
containing Entrez GeneIDs corresponding to gene sets
from GO, KEGG, and other pathway databases.

egidDir <- getwd()
> egidDir
[1] "C:/Documents and Settings/srini/My
Documents/software"

>load(file.path(egidDir,
"Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData"))
> biocAnnot <- "rat2302"
> library(biocAnnot, character.only = TRUE)
Error in library(biocAnnot, character.only = TRUE) :
  there is no package called 'rat2302'
> biocAnnot
[1] "rat2302"
> ls()
[1] "biocAnnot" "egidDir"   "G.EGIDs"
> xx <- as.list(get(paste(biocAnnot, "ENTREZID", sep =
"")))
Error in get(paste(biocAnnot, "ENTREZID", sep = "")) :

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United
States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United
States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] sigPathway_1.6.0

[1] rcompgen_0.1-17 tools_2.6.1

This might be as simple stupid question as how to make
lists in R. But truly lists is one of my nightmares.

Thanks
Srini

--- "James W. MacDonald" <jmacdon at med.umich.edu>