[BioC] How can I make genesets for sigpathway

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Feb 29 17:24:59 CET 2008

Hi Srini,

Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> Dear Jim ,
> thanks for your input.
>  For now I am using U133Plus2 and Later I will be
> using affy and agilent mouse and rat chips
> respectively.
>
> Although, I found the site where they are describing
> how to make "G" object, the script that was provided
> is not straightforward and I get errors when I am
> trying to process what the author is asking me to do.(
> http://www.chip.org/~ppark/Supplements/PNAS05.html)
>

> My ultimate aim is to combine my choice of datasets:
> some from MsigDB, my own annotations, PPI sets etc.
> into "G"list object.
>
> For that the starting material I have is a TAB delim
> file with:
>
> Pathway Source    Name of Pathway   GENE symbols.
>

> Now I am clueless as how to create a annotation list.
> This is required to start doing what authors are
> describing in their code how to convert gene symbols
> to ID.
>
> Simply, I dont know how to make an object equivalent
> to "Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData".
>
> "Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData" is an R workspace
> containing Entrez GeneIDs corresponding to gene sets
> from GO, KEGG, and other pathway databases.

Well, I think this will be way too complicated for anyone to help you
with via a listserv.

> egidDir <- getwd()
>> egidDir
> [1] "C:/Documents and Settings/srini/My
> Documents/software"
>
>> load(file.path(egidDir,
> "Genesets_EntrezGeneIDs.RData"))
>> biocAnnot <- "rat2302"
>> library(biocAnnot, character.only = TRUE)
> Error in library(biocAnnot, character.only = TRUE) :
>   there is no package called 'rat2302'

So the error ^^^^^^^^^^^^ right there indicates you don't have this
package installed yet.

>> biocAnnot
> [1] "rat2302"
>> ls()
> [1] "biocAnnot" "egidDir"   "G.EGIDs"
>> xx <- as.list(get(paste(biocAnnot, "ENTREZID", sep =
> "")))
> Error in get(paste(biocAnnot, "ENTREZID", sep = "")) :

Since the package isn't installed, you will not be able to get anything
from it.

Anyway, if you want to do something this complicated (e.g., not just
using the sigPathways package as intended) then you will likely have to
get help from the authors to make your own G.EGIDs list. On the webpage
you reference at the bottom it says to contact Peter J. Park if you have
questions. I think probably that is the best way to go.

Best,

Jim