[BioC] LoadLibrary failures when loading RMySQL and xps packages

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 3 12:52:57 CEST 2008

would you please include a sessionInfo() result after triggering
the errors?

my initial guess is that there is a problem with the installation
of R 2.7

if the following is accurate

'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':

the 27~1.1 seems strange to me.  send your sessionInfo and i will
attempt to replicate

---
Vince Carey, PhD
Assoc. Prof Med (Biostatistics)
Harvard Medical School
Channing Laboratory - ph 6175252265 fa 6177311541
181 Longwood Ave Boston MA 02115 USA
stvjc at channing.harvard.edu

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Marie Chehani Alles wrote:

> Hi,
I work with Windows XP. I recently updated to R
v.2.7 and Bioconductor v.2.2, and am now having
trouble loading libraries of packages that appear to
have been installed successfully.

An example for the workflow and error message I get
when I try to load the library for the “RMySQL”
package follows:

utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL
'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/RMySQL_0.6-0.zip'
package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums
checked

The downloaded packages are in
C:\Documents and Settings\YYYYYY\Local
Settings\Temp\RtmpF3NdQe\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions

> library(RMySQL)
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now),
...) :
unable to load shared library
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The specified module could not
be found.
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'

I thought it was simply an issue with the RMySQL
.dll (as discussed at
http://134.148.236.121/R/e2/help/07/10/28144.html),
but I get an identical error with the xps package,
even though the xps.dll file is present in the
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.7.1\library\xps\libs folder.

Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now),
...) :
unable to load shared library
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/xps/libs/xps.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The specified module could not
be found.
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'xps'
This error does not appear for all downloaded
packages – for example, libraries for the
“affy”, “multtest” and “plier” packages
install fine.

Can anyone tell me why R can’t “find” the
RMySQL.dll & xps.dll files, and how to bypass this
issue? Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Marie

Marie Alles
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria Street, Darlinghust, Sydney, NSW 2010,
AUSTRALIA

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]