[BioC] LoadLibrary failures when loading RMySQL and xps packages

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Jul 3 14:26:05 CEST 2008

Hi Marie --

Marie Chehani Alles <m.alles at garvan.org.au> writes:

> Hi,
> I work with Windows XP. I recently updated to R
> v.2.7 and Bioconductor v.2.2, and am now having
> trouble loading libraries of packages that appear to
> have been installed successfully.
>
> An example for the workflow and error message I get
> when I try to load the library for the “RMySQL”
> package follows:
>
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> trying URL
> 'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/RMySQL_0.6-0.zip'
> package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums
> checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
> C:\Documents and Settings\YYYYYY\Local
> Settings\Temp\RtmpF3NdQe\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
>
>> library(RMySQL)
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now),
> ...) :
> unable to load shared library
> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
> LoadLibrary failure: The specified module could not
> be found.

Both RMySQL and xps depend on additional software, and the error
message is probably trying to say that errors in the external software
configuration made it impossible to load the R package.

For RMySQL, it looks like mysql has to be installed, and libmysql.dll
on the PATH variable of your system (the elaborate solution of copying
libmysql.dll from another distribution suggested in the email thread
does not seem like a good idea to me; install MySQL, find libmysql.dll
in the installation, add the path to the containing folder to the
environment variable PATH).

xps requires ROOT. I do not have experience with that, but again the
package has a README file that details steps required for installation
and on configuration on Windows.

Hope that helps,

Martin