[BioC] inquiry for CDF file

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Jul 14 20:33:18 CEST 2008

Hi Hyeong-Min,

Lee, Hyeong-min wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm looking for "mogene10stv1cdf" I couldn't find it on the metadata.html.
> Could you please tell me where I can get it? Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, we don't as yet supply the cdf file for this chip type.

There are a couple of ways you can analyze these data, but none involves
the canonical makecdfenv/affy pipeline.

You can use the successor to makecdfenv/affy, which is the
pdInfoBuilder/oligo pipeline (more to follow on this), or the xps
package. Non-BioC software includes aroma.affymetrix and Expression
Console (Affymetrix's own software).

To use oligo to do the analysis you will first need to create a pdInfo
package. This package replaces all of the cdf, probe and annotation
packages that you may be used to. In order to build this package you
will need to download the library files (the first one on this page:
http://www.affymetrix.com/support/technical/byproduct.affx?product=mogene-1_0-st-v1),
the probe file in tabular format, and the transcript cluster annotation
csv file (both of which are found at the above URL).

You then have to create a 'AffyGenePDInfoPkgSeed' object which you can
then use to build the package. The help page for this doesn't really
cover this sort of thing, so here is an example of how you would do so:

pgfFile <- "MoGene-1_0-st-v1.r3.pgf"
clfFile <- "MoGene-1_0-st-v1.r3.clf"
transFile <- "MoGene-1_0-st-v1.na24.mm8.transcript.csv"
probeFile <- "MoGene-1_0-st-v1.probe.tab"

pkg <- new("AffyGenePDInfoPkgSeed", author = "authorname", email =
"e at mail.net", version = "0.0.1", genomebuild = "thegenomebuilddate",
biocViews = "AnnotationData", pgfFile = pgfFile, clfFile = clfFile,
transFile = transFile, probeFile = probeFile)

makePdInfoPackage(pkg)

At this point you need to install the package. In any case, this is done
at a terminal prompt (or DOS prompt on Windows) using

R CMD INSTALL thepackage

You may also need to point to your library directory as well, using
something like

R CMD INSTALL -l /path/to/lib thepackage

If you are on linux, this Will Just Work (tm). However, if you are on
Windows or MacOS, you will need to get set up to build packages. Luckily
this isn't nearly as involved as in the past. See the R Installation and
Administration manual

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

for your particular OS.

Best,