[BioC] using genomic DNA as universal reference

oliveros at cnb.csic.es oliveros at cnb.csic.es
Thu Jun 5 19:52:01 CEST 2008

Dear Jin,

I used to work with this kind of data in the past: RNA in one channel and
genomic DNA (gDNA) in the other. We used the gDNA as a reference value for
each gene to quantify the amount of DNA present in each spot.

I also noticed that the distribution of the intensities was different in
both types of samples. In fact this is expectable as the amount of mRNA
molecules in one sample has nothing to do with the amount of gDNA for the
same gene in other sample.

So I normalized the data separately:

-I created two tables, one with all RNA values and other with all gDNA
values.

-I adjusted the quantiles of each table separately.

-Then I calculated the ratio RNA intensity / gDNA intensity and I used
this ratio RNA/gDNA as the expression value of the genes. In further
analysis steps I treated them as data coming from single channel
hybridizations.

I hope that helps.

best,

Juan Carlos Oliveros