[BioC] [R-SIG-Mac] affy won't load

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 24 23:51:44 CEST 2008

Thanks to all for bringing this issue of the BioC 2.2 Max OS X binary
packages to light, and I apologize for any inconvenience these
non-standard binary packages have caused the BioC user community. If all
goes well with the build system tomorrow morning, the Mac OS X binary
packages will be produced under the standard Mac OS X R framework. I
will send out an e-mail tomorrow morning notifying you on its status.

I don't want to get too much into the gory details of the build system,
but I will provide you with a high level synopsis on what caused the
breakdown. Back when the Bioconductor core team released BioC 2.2 in
May, we had a last minute scramble for the Mac OS X binary packages
builds.  Up until release time, we were building the packages on Mac OS
X Leopard (10.5.2). It was brought to our attention the week of the
release that those builds were not working on Mac OS X Tiger. When we
switched to a Tiger build machine, we experienced problems with the png
device (type = "quartz", the default, failed to work in our build
environment). In order to be expedient we used a custom build of R 2.7.0
to get around this issue. This had the unintended consequence that you
discovered. We have since reverted back to using the standard R 2.7.1
build for the Mac and are using a configuration file to set
options(bitmapType = "cairo") to get around the png device issue. These
new Mac binary package builds will be linking into the dynamic libraries
located in the standard R directory
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib.

Cheers,
Patrick