[BioC] detection calls without MM probes

Samuel Wuest swuest at botinst.uzh.ch
Fri Mar 14 15:31:54 CET 2008

Julien,

There are indeed alternatives to the MAS5 present/absent call method, but
only with some limitations:

a) Half-Price method, please refer to Wu et al, 2005 (see below). The method
is using only PM probe signals, but you will have to ask the authors for the
script, there is no package available for the tool; or, alternaltively, make
your own with the idea that the authors mention...

b) PANP – present/absent calls with negative probesets, please refer to
Warren et al (2007), or the Bioconductor package PANP
 The method is only
available for the Affymetrix HG-U133 series, but personally, I have modified
it for the Arabidopsis ATH1 array and it performs very well on my data...
PANP can be used with different preprocessing methods of your choice, but
everything is nicely described in the reference.

Beside that, there is no alternative that I would know of, but maybe other
from the list would have suggestions?

Best, Sam

of Microarray Probe-Level Data" (March 2005). Johns Hopkins University,
Dept. of Biostatistics Working Papers. Working Paper 73.
http://www.bepress.com/jhubiostat/paper73

Warren, P., Bienkowska, J., Martini, P., Jackson, J., and Taylor, D., PANP -
a New
Method of Gene Detection on Oligonucleotide Expression Arrays (2007), under
review, www.people.brandeis.edu/~dtaylor/Taylor_Papers/BIBE07_PANP.pdf
or the Bioconductor Vignette for the PANP package (www.bioconductor.org)

Wuest Samuel
Smurfit Institute of Genetics