[BioC] Network install of packages

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 7 11:47:57 CET 2008

> Has anyone done any benchmarking on accessing the annotation packages
> over a network vs. a local drive?  I can image (guess) that for some
> annotation packages that are frequently used, it may pay of to have
> the on a local drive, especially the SQLite based ones.  Correct me if
> I'm wrong.

Using AFS as your network file system reduces the impact of this issue
or may eliminate it completely - as whatever you've read from the network
is cached on local disk.

The original poster has the admirable aim of utilizing the under-used
local disk space on a large number of boxes.  However, I'd still vote
for keeping a single copy of everything rather than n copies.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,