[BioC] PCR Validation threshold in dChip normalized data

Mark Cowley m.cowley at garvan.org.au
Fri Sep 5 02:25:55 CEST 2008

Hi Benjamin,
I agree that a single expression threshold is unlikely to work for all
probesets, however if you would still like to find a single cutoff,
then i'd suggest that you plot histograms or density plots of the data
from each array to identify an approximate threshold at which 2
populations of probes separate into a clearly low, background set, and
a higher set of expressed signals.
This method works very well for gcRMA (the 2 populations are very
distinct), moderately well for RMA (the 2 populations are somewhat
distinct) and I have no idea for dChip.
Caveat - your data probably needs to be on log scale, so you'll need
to deal with the negative values in some appropriate way... add an
offset?

cheers,
Mark

Mark Cowley, BSc (Bioinformatics)(Hons)

Peter Wills Bioinformatics Centre
Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia