[BioC] Converting EnSeMBL Probe names into Gene Name

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Sep 18 14:23:34 CEST 2008

Another alternative is to use the org.Hs.eg.db package

 > library(org.Hs.eg.db)

Welcome to Bioconductor

   Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
   'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
   'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

 > ens <- c("ENSG00000000003","ENSG00000000005","ENSG00000000419")
 > egs <- mget(ens, revmap(org.Hs.egENSEMBL))
 > egs
$ENSG00000000003
[1] "7105"

$ENSG00000000005
[1] "64102"

$ENSG00000000419
[1] "8813"

 > gns <- mget(unlist(egs), org.Hs.egSYMBOL)
 > gns
$`7105`
[1] "TSPAN6"

$`64102`
[1] "TNMD"

$`8813`
[1] "DPM1"

Since most BioC annotation packages are Entrez Gene-centric, you will
need to map via the Entrez Gene ID, whereas you can do the direct
mapping using biomaRt.

Best,

Jim