[BioC] outliers in Bead summ data

Matt Ritchie mer36 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 23:22:59 CEST 2008

Dear Matt,

The createBeadSummaryData() function in beadarray automatically removes
outliers and summarises the intensities from the replicate beads when you
specify method="illumina". This is done using Illumina's 3 MADs from the
median rule to determine outliers by default. It is worth finding out
whether outliers have already been removed from your bead-level data to
avoid doing this step twice. If BeadScan has been run with the line

<ExcludeOutliers>true</ExcludeOutliers>

in the settings.xml file (located in the directory where BeadScan is
installed), then you should use method="mean" instead, since the outliers
will have already been removed from the bead-level output. Ask someone in
your core facility to check on this if you're unsure. If you want the
outliers included in your output, changing this 'true' to a 'false' should
work.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes,

Matt