[BioC] retrieving mRNA sequences via biomaRt

Simon simon212 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 19:02:08 CEST 2009

Thanks, for the recommendation.

So far, I just read Steffen's and your biomaRt user’s guide and had a
look at the BioMart 0.7 Documentation, since I needed quick results.
I'm going to have a look at the recommended book and paper, now.

In the meantime, I got to a solution - but not a very satisfying one:

ensembl = useDataset("hsapiens_gene_ensembl", mart=ensembl)

myAttributes = c("embl", "cdna", "5utr", "coding", "3utr", "5_utr_end",
"3_utr_start", "sequence_cdna_length","cds_length")

qresult = getBM(attributes=myAttributes,
                  filters=...,
                  values=...,
                  mart=ensembl)

finalResult = mySeqCdsLengthFilter(qresult, c(3000, 5000), c(2000, 3000))

For now, I parse my query results manually, using
the values for "sequence_cdna_length" and "cds_length" as limits.
I wish these attributes were filters ...
or there was a BioMart and a database, I could use in a linked query via
getLDS.

I'm still curious for a smarter solution.

Best regards,
Simon