[BioC] Examples outdated in "Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor"

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Aug 11 00:13:37 CEST 2009

Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still run into other problems with the following fixes. Can some
> more experienced BioC user help update these files and post them on
> BioC website? All new users will appreciate your help!

To follow the book verbatim, use R version 2.4 and correctly installed
Bioconductor packages (i.e., appropriate for R 2.4, as provided by
biocLite()). For a more recent treatment of similar material see
http://bioconductor.org/pub/biocases/. For the problem below, see
?xtable and "An Introduction to R", for instance section 10.9 (hint:
invoke as xtable(gcMat, ...) but take the time to understand why this works.

Martin

> Regards,
> Peng
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Heidi Dvinge<heidi at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hello Peng,
>>
>> please keep discussions to the list, so that other people can chime in as
>> well.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the details of xtable, but in the example you link
>> to below it seems like the function xtable.matrix() does exist, but it's
>> not exported by the name space. However, simply using xtable() works fine
>> for me, and gives the same result at calling xtable.matrix() specifically
>> (code shown below).
>>
>> There might be an updated version of the examples from "Bioinformatics and
>> Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor" somewhere;
>> someone else can probably tell you. My best advice though is, that when
>> something doesn't work, simply do a search for that function/package ;)
>> Typing ?xtable.matrix gives you the xtable help page, which a.o. says "The
>> available method functions for xtable are given by methods(xtable)."
>>
>> Regards
>> \Heidi
>>
>>> library(GO.db)
>>> library(xtable)