[BioC] Bug in vsn2

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Jul 18 22:42:26 CEST 2009

Dear Gonzalo,

thank you for reporting this. vsn2 actually uses the coercion method
from RGList to NchannelSet from the convert package when presented with
an RGList object, and I suspect the problem lies there.

In order to really diagnose (and fix) this problem, we would need a
reproducible example. Can you make available, either to this list or me
privately, your two objects RG and RG2 (or a method of re-creating
them), as well as the code you use to call vsn2 and the error message
you experience?

Currently, vsn2 will work with RGlist objects with slots R and G (and
optionally Rb, Gb); and not otherwise.

	Thanks and best wishes
	Wolfgang

M. Gonzalo Claros Díaz wrote:
> I have found a bug in vsn2 function using RGList as input object.
>
> I have constructed a RGList object that includes an "other" slot with
> read.maimages() from limma. When I use this object with vsn2 function, I
> get a very strange hanging error.
>
> When I run the same data *without* the "other" slot (by reading them
> with different read.maimages parameters), it works fine.
>
> This RGList works fine with vsn2:
>
>     tg <- readTargets(targetF, row.names="SlideNumber")
>     RG <- read.maimages(tg$FileName, source="genepix.median", wt.fun=
> FilterChip)
>
> This RGList hangs vsn2 (but not the rest of calculations with limma and
> marray package funtions):
>
>     RG2 <- read.maimages(tg$FileName, source="genepix.median", wt.fun=
> FilterChip, other.columns=c(snr532="SNR 532", snr635="SNR 635"))
>
> Gonzalo
>
>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
> i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
>
> locale:
> es_ES.UTF-8/es_ES.UTF-8/C/C/es_ES.UTF-8/es_ES.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] vsn_3.12.0    Biobase_2.4.1 marray_1.22.0 limma_2.18.0

> [1] affy_1.22.0          affyio_1.12.0        grid_2.9.0
> lattice_0.17-22
> [5] preprocessCore_1.6.0
>
> --
> «Donde me he equivocado, soy el único responsable; donde no,
> el mérito es de los que me han ayudado»
> Search the archives:

Best wishes
      Wolfgang