[BioC] arrayQualityMetrics

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Jul 26 19:26:54 CEST 2009

santana sarma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Any help on the following would be appreciated:
>
> 1. For Affymetrix data, function(s) like MAplot produces a summary
> statistics along with a trendline of the data. Wonder if there is a function
> that outputs somewhat similarly for cDNA data too !
>
> 2. To the output of Limma's normalization (*normalizeWithinArrays* and then,
> *normalizeBetweenArrays*), as I try to use arrayQualityMetrics, an error
> message comes up.
>
> arrayQualityMetrics (BetArray_Scale, force=TRUE)   # BetArray_Scale is an
> "MAList" from betweenArrayNormalization
>

> Error in validObject(.Object) :
>
>   invalid class "ExpressionSet" object: sampleNames differ between assayData
> and phenoData
>
> Error in arrayQualityMetrics(BetArray_Scale, force = TRUE) :
>
>   The expressionset is a MAList and cannot be converted automatically in a
> ExpressionSet. Try to convert it manually.

Hi Santana --

This is likely occurring because colnames(BetArray_Scale$M) do not equal
rownames(BetArray_Scale$targets). This might be because you've assembled
the MAList yourself, rather than using limma appropriately. You should
track down when in your work flow the colnames of M differ from the
rownames of targets, likely you've associated the wrong phenotypic and
array data. A little more below...

> Then, while trying to convert it, again there is an error message.
>
> x <- new ("MAList")
>
> x$M <- BetArray_Scale$M
>
> x$A <- BetArray_Scale$A
>
> x$targets <- BetArray_Scale$targets
>
> z <- as (RG.MA(x), "ExpressionSet")
>
> Error in as(RG.MA(x), "ExpressionSet") :
>
>   no method or default for coercing "RGList" to "ExpressionSet"

ExpressionSet is relatively down-stream in the analysis pipeline, after
normalization and summarization; it is approximately comparable to
MAList, but not RGList; for this reason there is no conversion from
RGList to ExpressionSet. Likely you want as(x, "ExpressionSet").

Martin