[BioC] Beta score of DNA methylation assays

Sean Davis seandavi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 18:27:18 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Adaikalavan Ramasamy
<a.ramasamy at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Sonia Shah, thanks for the link. The Beta score is calculated as you said
> with the addition that any negative values of Cy3 and Cy5 are set to zero.
>
> Sean Davis, thanks for pointing out to the methylumi package. It looks like
> a nice package. I am slightly concerned that you are analyzing the Beta
> scores without any data transformation (though I like how you illustrated it
> using the limma package). The Beta values appear to be highly bimodal and
> the model near zero seems to be more pronounced. Having said that, I also
> seen others using t-test to analyze the data too so I think data
> tranformation may be a more general problem. Or maybe I am worrying too
> much.

Hi, Adai.

Thanks for the comments. The goal of the package is really to parse
the data and apply a reasonable normalization to the data.  There are
certainly robust tests that could be used for statistical purposes.
That said, the distribution of Beta values within a sample across CpG
sites (which always has the bimodality you mention) is not the
distribution of interest, I'm sure you know better than I (I'm no
statistician!).  Instead, you want to examine the distribution of beta
values for a given CpG site within the two populations of interest.  I
have not looked at this in any detail, but if those two distributions
approach normality, then a t-test may be appropriate.  So, in short,
there is a bit of a gray area here.  I should probably add some
disclaimer to the vignette to that effect.

Sean