[BioC] missing content in limma documentation pdf

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Jun 12 18:13:09 CEST 2009

Martin Morgan wrote:
> Hi Torsten -- I believe that this is a shortcoming in Sweave as current
> in the R appropriate for Bioc 2.3 (unable to wrap commented lines, or
> lines without spaces) and so not readily 'fixed'. On the other hand,
> this is the reference manual and all detail can be found from within R,
> e.g.,
>
>   ?duplicateCorrelation
>
> The package maintainer might update the source code for the man pages,
> but this wouldn't have an effect on Bioc 2.3, which is not the current
> version.

Hmm, to follow through a bit on this, I wrongly blamed Sweave for
formatting, and underestimated the amount of work required to make pdf
versions of the manual 'pretty'. Sweave does not play a role in creating
the manual. Instead, the R tools for processing the vignette place the
usage section in a 'verbatim' tex environment (similarly for the
examples code, too, I think). Thus the 'fix' is for each package
maintainer to write 'man' pages that are consistent with reasonable
display of this formatting -- a fairly daunting task.

For the record, the way man pages are generated as pdf is

  R CMD Rd2dvi --pdf <pkg_name-or-Rd_file>

Martin