[BioC] problem with the structure of a list of pathways

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jun 18 19:55:12 CEST 2009

Hi Alberto,

I answered the first version of this question (I see my email in my sent
folder), but evidently it didn't make it past that point. I have
re-created this answer below.

HOWEVER, this is the third (third!) time you have asked this question in
slightly different ways on this list. I give you an A for perseverance,
but a D- for getting the hint that maybe nobody is going to answer your
question and trying to figure it out yourself.

--

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician

>>> Alberto Goldoni <alberto.goldoni at segesta.pro> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i have a problem with the package annaffy. As the vignette says i can save
> an HTML page (example1.html):
>
> anncols <- aaf.handler()[c(1:3, 8:9, 11:13)]
> anntable <- aafTableAnn(probeids[1:50], "hgu95av2.db", anncols)
> saveHTML(anntable, "example1.html", title = "Example Table without Data")
>
> the HTML page present a list of probes and for each probe you can found many
> informations like:
>
> 1] "Probe" "Symbol" "Description"
> [4] "Chromosome" "Chromosome Location" "GenBank"
> [7] "Gene" "Cytoband" "UniGene"
> [10] "PubMed" "Gene Ontology" "Pathway"
>

> Now it is possible to have a list of pathways and for each pathway to have
> the probes that have the same pathway?

Now to the answer...

The answer, as with most questions about R is 'Yes, of course.".
However, not using annaffy, which is designed to do one particular type
of table. You don't say if you need links or not, but if you just want
an HTML table mapping pathways to genes (where by gene you really appear
to mean reporter or probeset ID).

## fake up some data

  > library(hgu95av2.db)
  > lst <- mget(Lkeys(hgu95av2PATH)[1:10], hgu95av2PATH)

## little function to make life easier

  > getRows <- function(x) {
          paste("<P>", x, "</P>", collapse = "", sep = "")
      }

  > tmp <- data.frame(names(lst), sapply(lst, getRows))
  > print(xtable(tmp), type="html", file="tmp.html",
include.rownames=FALSE, sanitize.text.function=function(x) x)

Best,

Jim