[BioC] How to cope with arrays hybridized at significantly different time.

Michal Okoniewski michal at fgcz.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 13 09:09:58 CET 2009

Dear Triantafillos,

Your question sounds like a serious problem in a real (clinical)
application of microarrays.
To tell the truth, not many people have such big datasets, many are not
aware about sources
of variability, especially  at the stage  of  RNA extraction, because
Affy hybridization itself
most often do not add more variability than the extraction conditions
(patien's stress, sample
degradation, habits and moods of the person who gathers the matherial
and extracts RNA).
Anyway - there are some "rules of good practice" that could be applied, eg

* keep precise and detailed annotation of samples - then you can try
with anova to
estimate the strength of influencing factors
* try to extract RNA in the same/similar conditions - if it is not
possible, randomize extractions
* use in the experiment as many replicates as you can afford :)
* do not pool unless you have really good reason  for it
* define your goal and adjust the subset of your data and types of
analysis to it - eg if you need just an "expression signature"
of 10-100 probesets, apply different methods and check how they overlap
to avoid false positives,
if you need an answer to a "biological question" - use eg limma anova
with contrasts and play with pathways...

The list is by far not complete, but I think it would be interesting to
discuss good practices in the
applications of big microarray dataset - because this is the case where
the science becomes
really directly applicable and useful...

all the best,
Michal