[BioC] How to cope with arrays hybridized at significantly different time.

Juan Pedro Steibel steibelj at msu.edu
Fri Mar 13 21:27:57 CET 2009

Good points, I would say, remember three basic principles of
experimental design:
1) Replication
2) Randomization
3) Blocking

If you have batch (or other "environmental") effects, you need multiple
batches, with experimental conditions crossed with batches. Ideally, you
want to randomize within batch and keep the within batch variation as
controlled as possible. Also a complete block (where all experimental
conditions are represented in all batches, ~batch=block~) is probably
better. Then you have to account for the batch effect in the analysis,
for example if you are using a linear mixed model to analyze expression,
you should include a batch effect (random or fixed) in it, as it was
suggested before.

Moreover, having repeats of the same experimental condition in each
batch (example: multiple affected and control samples per batch), allows
you to test for batch*condition interaction (and if that is
significant... good luck with the interpretation...).

Even if you are working with "observational data" (meaning non-designed
experiment), if you have many samples, you can probably account for some
sources of variation. In that case, having good annotation of
"environmental conditions" is a must.

If your model (for example clustering) can not account for multiple
sources of variation, you may consider pre-whitening the data by
adjusting a linear model with batch and other systematic effects first,
then use the residuals from the model to do your clustering and see if
the samples group together reflecting experimental conditions of interest.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
JP

=============================