[BioC] GO.db redundance

mcarlson at fhcrc.org mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Mon May 11 20:49:03 CEST 2009

Hi Giacomo,

The problem isn't with the databases or the annotation packages, but
with how you are using toTable().  I would not use toTable() like that
since this is not what it was designed to do.  Instead, I would
recommend an approach more like this:

library("mgu74av2.db")
library("GO.db")

##Get the IDs you wanted
all_probes_mgu <- ls(mgu74av2ENTREZID)
##Get the GO IDs for these IDs
GOIDs = mget(all_probes_mgu, mgu74av2GO, ifnotfound=NA)

##You also wanted to remove things that were not part of the
##"CC" ontology.  There is a good way to do this in ever so convenient
##annotate package...
##So for example, we can make use of the getOntology method like this:
library("annotate")
clnList = lapply(GOIDs, getOntology, "CC")

##Finally if we want to get more details for each of these GOIDs, we
##can use the GOTERM mapping in the usual way:

##So for the probe you used in your example:
clnList[1]
##You can look up the details from the GOTERM table like this:
mget(clnList[[1]],GOTERM,ifnotfound=NA)

You weren't super clear about what exactly you were trying to do, so I
hope that this answers your questions.  If not, please let us know.

    Marc

Quoting giacomo.tuana at unimib.it: