[BioC] beadarray: outliers but not summary in log2-scale?

Mark Dunning mark.dunning at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:44:34 CEST 2009

Hi Cei,

You can summarize on the unlogged scale by using the option log=FALSE
in createBeadSummaryData. We're still looking into the best
combination of outlier removal to use with BASH, it could be that the
Illumina method for removing outliers by a 3 MAD cut-off is still
best. This is the default option in beadarray (option
method="Illumina").

One final thing, If you plan to use VST method you'll need to
calculate detection scores prior to running VST, this can be done by:-

Detection(BSData) = calculateDetection(BSData)

The type of background correction we don't recommend is the background
subtraction performed by BeadStudio that subtracts the negative
controls from each bead-type average on an array. This causes a huge
increase in variance and missing values if you try and do a
log-transformation. However, using the combination of VST and quantile
as you plan should take care of these problems.

Hope this helps,

Mark