[BioC] quantile robust and RMA in xps

Mayte Suarez Farinas farinam at mail.rockefeller.edu
Fri May 29 02:21:43 CEST 2009

>Dear Mayte,
>
>Thank you for sending me your code. I have just run your code using the
>Affymetrix breast, heart, prostate HuGene data, and everything is ok,
>including the final boxplot. However, the results are slightly different
>when I replace "normalize.quantiles()" from package preProcessCore with
>"normalize.quantiles()" from xps. Furthermore I have found two potential
>problems in your code:
>
>1, To simulate the removal of chips as output from
>"normalize.quantiles.robust()" I have deleted one column. Thus I also
>needed to delete the corresponding column name.  Since you have set
>"n.remove=5", up to 5 columns may be removed, so you would need to
>remove these column names manually.

I do not want to remove those chips from the output. the remove option on
normalize.quantiles.robust do not remove the columns per se, it only uses the
remaining chips to calculate the reference distribution to which all the chips
(including the 'removed') are normalized. This step produces a matrix with the same
number of columns as the original. I don't want to removed those chips, only not to
include them in the estimation of the reference distribution (if I include them the
reference distribution has utterly low range and I want to avoid to delete those
chips, their qc is not that bad)

>2, Since you store your original CEL-files in your working directory,
>replacement function "intensity<-" did replace your original CEL-files
>with the background corrected CEL-files of the same name. There are two
>ways to prevent this. The best way is to store the original CEL-files in
>another directory, e.g. in "raw".  The second possibility is to use
>parameter "celnames" of function "import.data()" to rename the imported
>CEL-files.

Do you mean that my CEL files were changed?. they are not more the raw data ?
Oh Oh! I was not aware of that. Oh my! I hope that the facility kept a copy of my
CEL files otherwise I am in deep  trouble!

>A third problem may be that function "normalize.quantiles.robust()"
>re-orders the matrix, so that the (x,y)-coordinates are no longer
>correct. Although this should not be the case I cannot exclude this
>possibility.

Maybe Bolstad can answer this...

>Here is the complete code that I used for testing.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> ### new R session: load library xps
>library(xps)
>scmdir <- "/Volumes/GigaDrive/CRAN/Workspaces/Schemes"
>scheme.hugene10stv1r4 <- root.scheme(paste(scmdir,
>"Scheme_HuGene10stv1r4_na28.root",sep = "/"))
>
>celfiles <- c("Breast_01.CEL", "Breast_02.CEL", "Breast_03.CEL",
>"Heart_01.CEL", "Heart_02.CEL", "Heart_03.CEL", "Prostate_01.CEL",
>"Prostate_02.CEL", "Prostate_03.CEL")
>G1ST_data2<-import.data(scheme.hugene10stv1r4,
>"Pamela_NOMID_dataxps_162021", celdir=getwd(), celfiles=celfiles,
>verbose=TRUE)
>
>## RMA background
>data.bg.rma <-
>bgcorrect(G1ST_data2,"tmp_bg",method="rma",exonlevel="core+affx",
>select="antigenomic", option="pmonly:epanechnikov",params=c(16384))
>
># get intensities
>data.bg.rma<-attachInten(data.bg.rma)
>data.int<-intensity(data.bg.rma)
>
># normalize with affy functions
>detach(package:xps)
>library(preprocessCore)
>data.int.norm<-normalize.quantiles.robust(as.matrix(data.int[,-
c(1,2)]),n.remove=2,remove.extreme='both')

---------End of Included Message----------

Mayte Suarez Farinas
Research Associate
The Rockefeller University Hospital