[BioC] reverse complement or no reverse complemnt on biomaRt / biomart.org

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 13 19:59:58 CEST 2009

Tefina Paloma wrote:

> I apologize for giving such a vague description.
>
> If I go to the ensemble page, click on "Mine Ensembl with BioMart", chose as
> database ensembl 56, Homo Sapiens, GRCh37, filter by ENST00000280193, click on
> results, and then click on the ENST00000280193 which leads to the transcript
> summary of this ensembl. Then, on the left hand side, I click on "export data"
> and I chose "fasta format", "feature strand", "flanking sequence" and "5utr".
> By doing this, I get the sequences I posted.

That looks like a bug in that export wizard. It doesn't matter which
strand you choose for the 5' UTR, you get the (correct) reverse strand
regardless.

However, if you choose either feature strand or reverse strand, you get
the forward strand (the reverse complement of the correct 5' flanking
region). If you choose forward strand, you still get the forward strand,
but it is off the 3' end of the gene.

Try pasting this into blat (http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgBlat) to
see what I mean.

 > biomaRt
CCGCCGCCAGCGCCCCCGCCGCAGCGCCCGCGGCCCGGCTCCTCTCACTT
 > forward
GTAGTTTTCGTTCATCATGTAAGATGATAATGGACTGAACTTAGCAGCTT
 > feature
AAGTGAGAGGAGCCGGGCCGCGGGCGCTGCGGCGGGGGCGCTGGCGGCGG

So the only correct results here are from biomaRt.

Best,

Jim

> Best,
> Tefina