[BioC] Agi4x44PreProcess 1.4.0 question: use of genes.rpt.agi() and Gene Sets

Tobias Straub tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Oct 21 09:03:30 CEST 2009

Hi

key question regarding your problem is the confidence in the
measurement of a single agilent feature. in affy 3' expression arrays
a robust measurement is obtained by summarization of several features.
for the modern affy gene st arrays the gene-based expression
measurement is also obtained by feature summarization across exons (at
least this is what the affy epxression console forces you to do).

hence, the most intuitive and biologically relevant procedure would be
to apply feature summarization accordingly for agilent arrays before
doing the statistics. the question how this summarization has to be
done cannot easily be answered without analysis of reference samples.
my personal experience: there is not a big difference between taking
the median signal or just taking the feature with the highest
variance. if you are particularly interested in categorizing
responders, the variance method is probably more sensitive.

best
Tobias